Catholic Charities (http://www.ccdoy.org) continues to provide the corporal works of mercy instituted by the early Church and Apostles as they created the office of deacons to help the widows, orphans and strangers as a sign of the love of God in our world. As Saints Peter and Paul provide us an example of being a witness to the truth about our faith, we too witness to the love of God and the love of neighbor which Jesus modeled and taught us to do -- “go and do likewise.”
Pope Francis: Evangelii Gaudium
59. Today in many places we hear a call for greater security. But until exclusion and inequality in society and between peoples are reversed, it will be impossible to eliminate violence. The poor and the poorer peoples are accused of violence, yet without equal opportunities the different forms of aggression and conflict will find a fertile terrain for growth and eventually explode. When a society – whether local, national or global – is willing to leave a part of itself on the fringes, no political programmes or resources spent on law enforcement or surveillance systems can indefinitely guarantee tranquility. This is not the case simply because inequality provokes a violent reaction from those excluded from the system, but because the socioeconomic system is unjust at its root. Just as goodness tends to spread, the toleration of evil, which is injustice, tends to expand its baneful influence and quietly to undermine any political and social system, no matter how solid it may appear. If every action has its consequences, an evil embedded in the structures of a society has a constant potential for disintegration and death. It is evil crystallized in unjust social structures, which cannot be the basis of hope for a better future. We are far from the so-called “end of history”, since the conditions for a sustainable and peaceful development have not yet been adequately articulated and realized.
- Unemployed. That the unemployed may receive support and find the work they need to live in dignity.
- Faith in Europe. That Europe may rediscover its Christian roots through the witness of believers.
- Sports. That sports may always be occasions of human fraternity and growth.
- Lay Missionaries. That the Holy Spirit may support the work of the laity who proclaim the Gospel in the poorest countries
Corporal Works of Mercy: The seven practices of charity toward our neighbor